Every week throughout the season, Denison Football Coach Cody White will share his thoughts and observations on his team, taking you inside the curtain with a breakdown of the previous game, the positives that stood out, the areas of improvement, the upcoming game on the schedule and more! It's all brought to you by the all-new North Texas Tennis Academy
This week, Coach White breaks down the loss to Texas High and looks ahead to an important game at Royce City.
* Looking back on the 27-20 loss at home to Texas High on Friday ... our kids played really well in the game. Obviously, we would’ve liked to have won it and we had a chance there at the end. We had a pass dropped and made a couple of bad cuts on chances to tie it up, but we played about as good as we could play. We took care of the ball. We did have three or four penalties offensively. We overcame three of the four. We don’t want to have those, but we were able to get through that. We made some big plays. The quarterbacks played fairly well and Stacy Golston played exceptionally well.
* We played really well defensively, for the most part, against an extremely talented football team. In some spots, we played some really good defense. We still have some stuff that we need to get better at. Most of it is communication but, for the most part, we played about as good as we can play as a group. Hopefully we’ll carry that through for the next four weeks.
* Communication is the biggest thing that needs improvement, on both sides of the ball. We can’t have a gaff in the special teams. We’ll do good things and we’ll do bad things. We had a punt blocked and we can’t have those. We would like to finish out the half better than we did. We let them go 80 yards and score with 21 seconds left in the half. That obviously was a huge momentum shift. We just can’t have that. We need to go into halftime with a seven-point lead.
* Individually, Stacy Golston played really well offensively. Zach Daniel had a good game. Our offensive line played well. Defensively, I thought the front four played exceptionally well. They continue to improve and I’m really pleased with where those guys are right now.
* We’re not turning the ball over as much right now. We always focus in practice on not turning the ball over. It hasn’t been anything different from what we’ve always done. It’s just that the kids are doing a better job of it. There’s no time when we don’t emphasize that. It hasn’t really been a change in focus.
* Looking at Royce City ... they are in the same situation as us. They’ve played some good people, and they’ve played some good people close. They’ve been pretty consistent. I’m expecting to get their best effort. Coach Strahm is going to do a good job. They are a fairly young football team and there are actually a lot of similarities between the two of us. We’ve got to play well and, if we do, I think we match up fairly well with them.
* We need to have a good game this week against Royce City. We’ve got an opportunity to take a step towards getting into the playoffs, believe it or not. We’re in the playoffs right now. We can’t lose any games. It’s a matter of seeing how the kids will respond to that situation. That’s what we’re looking forward to seeing on Friday.