Every week throughout the season, Denison Football Coach Cody White will share his thoughts and observations on his team, taking you inside the curtain with a breakdown of the previous game, the positives that stood out, the areas of improvement, the upcoming game on the schedule and more! It's all brought to you by the all-new North Texas Tennis Academy
This week, Coach White breaks down the loss to Sulphur Springs and looks ahead to the game against Texas High.
* Let’s start by looking back at the Sulphur Springs game. I thought we took a bit of a step back defensively. I’m not taking anything away from Sulphur Springs, but we didn’t play real well at the linebacker spot. That’s got to be improved. We were a little shorthanded offensively with some injuries that we had, but I was proud of the kids that stepped up. I thought we did some good things, but it’s the same old deal. We’ve got to finish and be consistent with what we’re doing. Right now, we’re not. We drive the ball between the 20s, but we’re not putting points on the board. We’ve got to get better.
* As far as positives go, I thought our line scrimmage on the offensive side was positive. We did a good job of controlling that and a good job of running the football. I was pleased with Rian Conrad, and Clifton Jackson came in and played quarterback for the first time in meaningful situations. Each one of them led us on one scoring drive. They did a pretty good job of operating. That part of it was positive. Defensively, I don’t know that there was a positive. I thought Malcolm Wright played an exceptionally good game. Other than that, we took a little bit of a step back defensively.
* Offensively, we haven’t been real good all year. I think we’re kind of finding out what we can be and what we can do. Getting our running back Stacy Golston back will help us. That will help us on defense, too. He’s also the starting linebacker. That helps, getting him back. Offensively, the biggest thing is getting points on the board. You can’t be productive between the 20s. You’ve got to be productive on the scoreboard. I feel like that’s the biggest thing we need to improve.
* Highlighting some individual players from the game ... I thought Zach Daniel had a good game. I thought Dre Butler played well offensively and, defensively, Malcolm Wright had a good game. I don’t know about the rest of it. I think we need to improve.
* The kids are fine. They understand where we’re at. They want to get into the playoffs. People think I’m crazy for saying this, but we’ve got a good opportunity to do that. I think we will. I think these kids will do what they need to do. Four wins will get you in for sure, and three has got a pretty good chance. We’ve got to do a good job of making sure we take care of ourselves and win enough to get ourselves into an eleventh game.
* Up next, we have a matchup against Texarkana Texas High. Texas High during the preseason was at the top 10 or 15 team in the state. They had a couple of hiccups early but they played really, really well last Friday. They are exceptionally athletic and talented. We’ve got to do a good job when we play teams like that. If that’s not your forte in this particular year, which it’s not, playing a team that’s extremely talented, you’ve got to play assignment football and you’ve got to play extremely hard. That’s going to be our focus in this game.